Monday, November 12, 2007

BlogWatch: Seth Rocks

I was perhaps a little too harsh on Seth Meyers in my last post. Gothamist highlights what they think was the funniest part of the column.

The NY Times op-ed columnist Maureen Dowd asked Seth Meyers (who we spoke to on Tuesday) to give her a weekend update about the strike: "As a comedy writer, I am more than willing to admit that I need a world with producers, but do they need us? The answer is yes, for two reasons. First, without writers whom will the studios blame for their failures? Second, seriously, whom?"
We won't pick on Seth for the who/whom usage. Anytime I hear about tv and movie writers, I am reminded about the joke where a starlet is so dumb that to get a part she sleeps with the writer.

The writer of Lazerow claims to know Seth personally and vouches for his talent.
In addition to being one of the funniest people I know, Seth is one of the smartest. So it should come as no surprise that Seth's comments, as reported by Dowd today, are both hilarious and strikingly true (excuse the pun).
Seth explains that he doesn't hate the studio heads:
"I am a fan of studios and what I like most about them is this: They know how to make money. That’s why studios and writers are such a perfect fit. Without studios we’d be back where comedy writers were 100 years ago — in some backwoods farmhouse shouting jokes at each other in a makeshift ring, while drunken audiences throw nickels at our feet."
And finally, snoskred used this Maureen Dowd quote as her thought of the day:
The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
I don’t know when or in what context MoDo said it, but it sure seems to totally sum up the issues at stake between the writers and the producers.

No comments: